As part of Music @ Boston Court’s DuoFest: LA’s Most Fearless Fusions, a weeklong festival of performing duos, Synchromy will be hosting a master class/reading session for student composers in Southern California. Selected composers will have their works read by some of the top professional musicians in Los Angeles and will receive feedback from both the performers and the professional composers of Synchromy. This will be a public session at the Boston Court Performing Arts Center in Pasadena, California on Monday, July 10, 2016, 7:00 PM.
Applicants can apply in one of two categories:
- Category A: young composers currently enrolled in high schools;
- Category B: undergraduate students currently enrolled in composition programs in the U.S.
Send us your new or previously composed original compositions (unpublished or self-published) up to 5 minutes in length, for one of the following instrumental combinations:
- Cello and Piano;
- Flute and Piano;
- Flute and Cello;
- Piano 4-hands.
In Category A (high school-level) applicants may also submit solos for any of the instruments included above.
How to enter
Please submit the following materials by Monday, May 15, 2017 at 6:00pm Pacific Time:
- Application fee of $25, paid via PayPal to email@example.com (include “call for scores” and the name of the composer as a “note” when you process this payment). Please copy PayPal transaction ID and add it to the application form (This application fee is non-refundable)
- The application form (click here to download .pdf, fill it out, and send as an attachment with your submission)
- Computer-engraved score (.pdf file) with program notes (if available)
- Recording, if available (attach mp3 file or include a permanent link to a larger .wav or .aif file; MIDI realizations converted to an audio file are acceptable)
- Short bio (.pdf file)
Hand-written manuscripts, arrangements of the works of other composers, or compositions with electronics will not be considered. Composers can submit only one piece for consideration. We only accept electronic submissions.
Please mark your score and bio clearly with your full name and the title of the piece. Please label all electronic files with your last name, title of the piece and name of the file (for example: Smith_Trio_score.pdf).
Email all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org . [IMPORTANT this is not the same email address as the one used to submit your application fee.]
Participation in the reading session is free for students selected through this call for scores. Attendance of the reading session at Boston Court Performing Arts Center (Pasadena, California, USA) on Monday, July 10, 2016, at 7:00 PM is Mandatory. Please note that no compensation will be offered to composers for the reading session participation or for travel and other expenses. Recordings of the session may be made, but may not be released publicly.
The selected composers will be notified via email by June 1, 2017. Composers must supply instrumental part for duets with piano (as an electronic .pdf file) via email by June 10, 2017.